rl brake servo valve

For the RL to make its film debut we had to sort a problem with the brakes. The RL differs from the wartime Bedfords by having an air over hydraulic braking system. The air is fed through a servo to apply pressure on the hydraulic master cylinder.  

Our initial investigations discovered that the valve that controlled the air flow was bent resulting on the brakes locking on.  After fruitless investigations into finding a replacement part, we decided to have a new valve machined.  

Right is a picture of the offending 'broken' valve.

the gardenAfter 55 years service the old AEC timber tractor still earns its keep but these days it pulls in more inquisative customers rather than tree.

Currently the tractor is waiting for slot in the workshop as we have been struggle to change gear, the last two outings we made in the old girl.

fordgpwIt is nearly a year ago we shipped a container back from Australia which included parts and vehicles for a number of collectors across the UK.

In with all the other treasures, including numerous Staghound parts was this little gem.  The Ford was built in 1944 and still has matching, chassis, engine and body numbers.  

When released by the Australian Government the Ford went to work on a farm near Orange in NSW where she resided until 2008 when I stumbled across her whilst on a road trip with my old friend, Matty McMahon.  By the time the Jeep had arrived in the UK, much to my delight the engine and gearbox had been restored by my old mate Tony in Oberon.  I have some great friends I must add.

Currently the Ford is waiting in the wings till she can come into the workshop for a proper makeover.

Tonight has been one of those frustrating evenings when you feel you are banging your head against a brick wall and if anything, going backwards.  Our attempts to fit the back axle to the Staghound have been hampered by a series of obstacles none of which get resolved satisfactorily and generally create new problems.  

This evening Adrian and I thought it would be sensible to free off the last remaining spring hanger which was very stiff; despite copious amounts of heat, grease and persuasion with a sledge hammer. In order to draw the pin holding the hanger in place you need to remove the locking pin........or should I say the remains of the locking pin after the locking nut shears off!  Shearing the nut off was not a problem in itself but the fact we could not drive the locking pin from the casting; using hammers of ever increasing size, we thought we would drill out the offending pin.  Having broken numerous drill bits and suffering with immense frustration we decided to call it an evening.

It is little consolation but we did manage to paint the transmission tunnel with a coat of primer.  Alas I do not wonder whether all this bother was worth it for a 'stiff' spring hanger.